Phones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phones

My Dad bought a Nokia Lumia 635 a couple of months ago, when his old (non smart) phone died. Unfortunately Dad has arthritis in his hands, so he was having a hard time swiping. So he bought himself an Alcatel "senior" smart phone with large keys and is happy with it..

He asked me if I was interested in the Lumia. I think he is considering giving it to me for my birthday next month, as he knows I want a new phone.....

However, I've checked out the consumer reviews and they are not wonderful. Low screen res, no front camera (!) and no flash, touch keyboard is slow....although all reviewers said it was great value for the price, the (single) camera is very good and it's the first phone to have Windows 8.1 as O/S... 4G connectivity and wi-fi option.

IF he intends me to have it as a present, I'll take it tho Beggars can't be choosers!
    If he wants me to buy it (new price is £70 - £80, but I'll probs get it for 50 family price), then I'll look for a better phone in that price range.
    Your suggestions please, in that price bracket?

I want a smartphone that is easy and uncomplicated to use (I'm an old man ), good quality front and back camera (with video option and a flash), good res screen, decent onscreen touch keyboard (I hate texting with buttons), wi-fi and decent battery life...

Thanks!

Update - as I thought, parents are giving me the Lumia for my birthday

So now I have question. It has a small simcard and the one from my current phone won't fit! I can keep my current number through my phone company, but is there a quick and easy way to transfer all my addressbook contacts from the old sim to the new? Or will I have to painstakingly enter them all by hand?

Thanks

Comment

Probably - there may be a couple of ways.

I presume you are getting a new sim card from your phone company? Micro sims often come in a surround that makes it up to the size of a normal sim. In that case, you can insert the sim into your old phone, use the phone menu to save contacts to sim, and then swap it to the Lumia. Failing that, you could connect old phone to PC, save contacts, and then connect the lumia. I'm not familar with the lumia PC software but I would expect it to be possible to import generic contacts.

If neither of those work, you could try sending via sms or bluetooth (if your old phone has bluetooth) - if sending by sms you would need to use a second phone number or it would probably receive it on your old phone before your could turn it off!

I take it the Lumia is unlocked, or you've checked it isn't locked on another network from yours?

Oh, your Lumia will be upgradable to Windows 10.
      Last edited by Bert; 03-10-2015, 21:19.
      We do not know truth, only our opinions and those of othersPremier League Predictor Now Open click here

Comment

My brother has a Nokia Lumia I' m sure it is the 635 and my old man has a Microsoft Lumia but I'm sure that is higher spec even though he never uses most of the things on it!

I'm sure my Brother transfered his contacts using a Micro SD card which is quick and easy to do if you have one, you will also be able to transfer anything else you may need like ringtones, videos, pics etc.

The only thing I've heard him moan about his Lumia is the Ebay app is different to the one he had on a Sony Xperia and it's rubbish!

Comment

Cheers for the info

It's an unlocked phone, so should be no probs....fingers X'd

Comment

Originally posted by Eriksen23 View Post
            I'm sure my Brother transfered his contacts using a Micro SD card which is quick and easy to do if you have one, you will also be able to transfer anything else you may need like ringtones, videos, pics etc.
            I considered that but figured it highly unlikely Billy's old phone would have a micro SD slot given his general comments about it.
            We do not know truth, only our opinions and those of othersPremier League Predictor Now Open click here

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              I considered that but figured it highly unlikely Billy's old phone would have a micro SD slot given his general comments about it.
              You are right! It is 13 years old! It does have a flash for the camera tho - 635 doesnt!

Anyway, AFAIK - the lumia has IE as installed browser? I hope I will be able to download and use Comodo Dragon or at least standard Chrome on it?

Comment

Just been on Nokia site and it seems I can transfer all data from my old Nokia to the 635, with bluetooth! I never even knew my old phone had that! I wondered what that blue arrow symbol was for, on my old phone screen!

#Twiggsgettingsavvy

Comment

you could try sending via sms or bluetooth (if your old phone has bluetooth)
                  Bing!

Comment

Bing!
                    A lot to learn about using this Lumia! Took me 10 mins to find the actual phone! LOL!
                    I'll get used to it - great I have a contact number for my pals, whilst I'm in Leeds... £6 left on the sim prepay connection!

Comment

The joys of technology!!! Reading up in the manual for my Lumia, I see there is an app that will let me compose my own ringtone, when I get the phone on line! As in actually write it! As a musician, this is good news for me!

Still experimenting with the off line stuff, as I want to familiarise myself with it, before getting the new sim from my provider. Found out how to get the FM radio working....but the in ear headphone buds are made for an elephant and wont fit in my small ears!!! Size of a 5p coin

Still hoping I can download Comodo browser to replace IE on it tho, when I finally get the phone on line....

Comment

FFS!!! Finally got to my phone company's shop (miles away from where I live!) and bought a new simcard for the Lumia to get it on my current account....
                        Fitted it and got the phone telling me it is locked to the English phone company that the phone came with!!!!

Dad called Argos in Leeds, where he bought it and they said they can't do anything - but they did suggest I find a shop over here that unlocks phones.
                        Plenty of those here, but they charge a hell of a lot!
                        However, I have found a few websites that claim to have the code to unlock my phone for free....
                        Before I try them I would like to know please:

Once I give them the IMEI number of my phone to get the code, could they then have access to my phone number and account, as my new SIM card has to be installed to unlock my phone?
                        I'd hate to suddenly get a huge phone bill for calls I haven't made! Or get loads of cold caller calls...

Advice welcome please.....also if anyone has used an on line unlocking site with no problems, they could recommend.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Giving up on the Lumia! Can't get connected I'll take it back to England and give it to a mate or something, who can get EE provider...

January sales upcoming! Suggestions please for a decent smartphone with two good cameras? Low to midprice, with on screen keyboard and a good battery that doesn't need charging every hour!

Thanks!

Comment

Phone

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                              Phone
                              Could be getting Spammed Bunk ?

tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Comment

Working...
                              X